I would say the opposite is true about the over runs. The thicker the line you have less a chance at producing overruns. However, it can reduce your casting distance. The trick is to find the happy medium. I use 50LB braid (12 LB diameter) on all my casting outfits that I actually make long casts with. I have been using 25 LB fluorocarbon on my flipping rod, but I am tempted to try 65 LB braid for flipping heavy slop.

But again 50 LB braid rarely gives me any problems, and I can cast 30-40 yards (maybe even more, just estimating)with 1/2 oz. lures. Power Pro is my brand of choice. Keep in mind alternate brands of braid will have slightly varied properties which present varied advantages and disadvantages.

For example through my own trial and error, I’ve discovered Spiderwire is probably the strongest line you can get in a braid. But it’s not nearly as limp as Power Pro, so any kind of distance casting with it is just a big headache in my experience. But it might not be bad for short distance flipping and pitching, never really tried though. I will probably never try though, Power Pro casts great and rarely breaks on me, so I am not about to reinvent the wheel when I already have something that works for me.